Couture And The Red Dress : It’s Finished

Hello Everyone,

It’s hard to believe that September is coming to an end. Time seems to be moving so fast.

Well my dress it complete.  Actually I finished it 2 weeks ago, but haven’t had a chance to get photos until today. I think it’s time for me to get a tripod for my IPad.  I have a mount, just need a new tripod.  This will give me more flexibility when my photographer (aka boyfriend) and I schedules are a little hectic.

I’m very happy with my dress, it feels and fits great.  I’ve discover that an A-Line design is very flattering for my shape.  In my last post, I had finished sewing the shell and was ready for the lining.   Before I talk about the lining application, let me share the fit adjustments and interfacing.

The pattern size I used was 18-22.  I needed  more room in the hips, so I used vector grading to up-size to a size 24.  This allowed me to smoothly transition from an 18 top to 24 hips.  I took in a 1/4 inch in the center back to accommodate my swayback.  Actually, I should have taken in a 1/2 inch. I still have a little fabric puddle in the back.  I made a FBA and took in the neckline an inch.  For the interfacing around the neck and back, I hand stitched silk organza.

My plan was to hand stitch the lining.  But, I was ready for this dress to be done.  So, I decided to machine the lining instead.  Well I started sewing around the neckline, when I realized that I was applying the lining completely wrong.  To correct, I would need to take the lining and dress apart. This was a moment of truths for me. I decided taking apart the lining and dress was not any option.  So, I continued by hand sewing the rest of the lining.  In a way I’m glad this happened.  I really like how the lining looks and I was able to practice more hand sewing.  For the lining I used my favorite after silk, bemberg lining.

Again, I’m very happy with this dress. I plan to wear it a little more with a red cardigan. Who says you can’t wear linen in October?  This was my first time underlining with cotton voile.  I like the it, but I feel silk organza helps better with the reduction of wrinkling.  I think I will continue to use silk organza with my linen, but use cotton voile for my cotton dresses.  By the way, I mentioned last post of ordering silk organza from Dharma Trading.  I received my order last week. The quality looks good and I’m excited to use it.

Anyway, next in the queue is a rayon jersey shirt dress.  I have black and an autumn print is my stash.  But, for some reason dark teal is really speaking to me.  I saw a nice teal bamboo jersey on Style Maker Fabric website that’s saying buy me.  I’m also working on a trench coat.  I’ve finished the adjustments and I’m ready to cut out the muslin.  I will be blogging about it next week.  Well that’s all for now.

Until next time………..have an awesome and crafty week!!

 

Couture And The Red Linen Dress V8022 – OOP Part 2

Hello Everyone,

This has been a busy two weeks. I ended up working a weekend and family dropped in unannounced on top of day to day stuff.   However, it was good spending time with my family. I hadn’t seen everyone in years.  But surprisingly, I was able to managed some sewing and knitting.

My red linen dress is at the lining stage.  I had to make a few tweaks on the shoulders and neckline. The neckline is a bateau, but it’s a bit long on me.  So, I took in about 3/8 inches in the center seam. The armhole area was gaping. I slant the shoulder seam a little more to remove the gap.  I will detail my fitting adjustments in my final blog on this dress. Overall, I’m pleased with the fit.  Now, I’m ready to cut and sew the lining.  I cut my lining after I’m satisfied with the fit of my sewn garment.

In my last post, I was hoping to catch on my knitting for my sweater class. Well due to work, I had to miss my class.  But, I was fine with it for a couple of reasons.  First, I was not caught up. However, I did managed to get one sleeve and 9″ of the body complete. Second, I’ve read the pattern and I’m comfortable that I can follow the steps.  Plus if I hit a snag, I can get help at the store.

So, that left me rethinking my WIP’s.  I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned, but I’m pretty much a monogamous knitter. (socks doesn’t count)  This summer, I’ve experimented with having multiple WIP’s.  Honestly, it has me overwhelmed.  I have two shawls, a sweater and socks on my needles.  Well, I finished my socks over the weekend.  Their on my Instagram feed.  But no more cast on until I get the Rune Shawl , Brookstone Sweater completed.  The Villa Wrap will take some time, a lot of rows to knit. I hope to have it complete by the end of September.

Well, that is all the happenings for me.  Thanks for stopping by.

Until next time……….have a crafty week!!!

 

 

 

1 2 3 7