Red Hot Momma – OPP B5147

I know it’s been awhile since I posted, but not from the lack of sewing. I just haven’t much time to sit down and post.  In April, I decide to rent  a garden plot at a local community garden.  I have a 28ft by 28ft plot at $20 for the whole season and the water is supplied. This is something I have wanted to do for years, but never made time.  This year I decided to do it.
Well needless to say it’s been a lot of work, but I have enjoyed every bit of it.  I find it very relaxing, after  sewing of course.  So now everything is planted and I have some breathing room.
Now lets talk about sewing.  What have  I been sewing?  Well, I finally finished OOP B5147.  I feel like I’ve been working on this dress since the ice age.  Now you may want to know why the title.   Well as a full figured women, I have always shy away from bold and pastel type colors.  I have always stuck to dark colors with a hint of color.  But ever since I’ve entered the blogging community of sewers, I have been inspired and encourage by the use of color.  So I decided to take a step out and make a red sheath.

I’ve had this my pattern in my collection for awhile.  In my opinion, this is one of Butterick’s best Lifestyle Wardrobe  patterns. I hate to see it in the OOP section.  I will be treating my copy like gold.  Here are details of my sheath.

Fabrics
      1. Red Linen – French Seam, Indianapolis IN.
      2.  Underlining  – Silk organza
      3.  Lining –  Bemberg Rayon Lining.  My favorite after silk

Details

Pattern/Alterations: I cut a size 22 and graded out to a 24 in the hips.  After a muslin fitting, I ended up having to add an additional inch in the hip. The fit in the breast was good, therefore, I did not make a FBA. I made a sway back adjustment. The pattern included petite adjustments, so I did not have to add any. ( I love it when that happens)
 

Construction: Linen is one of my favorite fabric’s. So to cut down on the wrinkling, I underlined with silk organza. Since the dress does not have a facing, the plan was to hand sew the lining in order to control the lining from peaking out. However, I forgot to increase the seam allowances around the neck and arm to an inch. So the work around, was to decrease the the seam allowance by an 1/8 inch on the lining around the neck and arms. Then machine stitch the lining. That worked liked a charm. There was no need to increase the backing lining piece by an 1/2 inch for sitting ease, the pattern had that detail included.
Overview: This pattern is definitely a favorite for me. However the next time I make it, I will peg the dress a little. 

Currently I’m working on a pair of black linen pants with a matching cardigan.  I should have it completed in the next week. 
 
I brought my first Colette pattern, it arrived the other day. It’s the Iris, a shorts pattern. What attracted me to this pattern, is the style and the measurements. The style would compliment my figure. Although the pattern only goes to an 18, the measurements are not standard. I wouldn’t have to grade out much. I’ll see how it works out.

Well that’s all for now.  Until next time……….keep sewing!!!!

You may also like

7 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *