Vacation Is Over – M6520 is Complete

They say all good things must come to an end. Well, I guess there is some truth to that saying.  My vacation is over and back to work I must go. But, I have no complaints. My vacation was relaxing and rejuvenating.  I got some items done in my house, did some sewing and indulged in a few spa treatments.

My plan was to complete 2-3 garments on my vacation. But,I was only able to get one garment complete. I guess something beats nothing. 

Although this dress took longer to complete than anticipated,I am very pleased with the results. My only dislike is that I should have made the sleeves a little longer.  Here are the stats on my dress.

Pattern Description: Dresses A and B have close-fitting bodice, seamed waist with applied casing/drawstring and side front pockets. A: short sleeves with stitched hem and fold-back cuffs. B: sleeve bands. Close-fitting dresses C and D have collar and collar band. C: self belt. D: sleeves with seam opening and button cuffs. All have front button band and narrow hem.

Fabric: Rayon jersey from Joann’s, Jersey lining from EmmaOne Sock

Pattern Alterations: I cut the pattern in a 20W in the neck,shoulder and bodice.  I graded out to a 24W in the hips. I made petite adjustments in the bodice. I initially was planning to make a FBA, but decided to make a muslin in a similar knit from my what was I thinking fabric stash.  Finally the scale is moving in my favor, which means I have to really check my fit. I’m not complaining at all. It turned out that a FBA was not needed and the hips where spot on.

Sewing Techniques:  The pattern is easy to sew. But, I added a few things to my dress.  I stabilized the shoulder with clear elastic. Since the fabric was lightweight, I underline the front and back with jersey lining. Underlining jersey/knit fabric can be challenging.  It was really important to keep the fabric from shifting while I hand stitch the lining to the fabric.  To accomplish this, I relied heavily on my pattern weights.  I also added an 1 inch hem, instead of the 5/8 inch narrow hem in the pattern.

Conclusion:  This is a great shirt dress pattern for knits. I especially like the size range for this pattern. I found the directions very easy to follow. My plan is to make another in a solid with long sleeves for the winter.

Next on my list are a few garments that I have had cut out for months. My white blouse and a pair of wool flannel pants. I’m also looking to complete V8805.

Until next time…….keep sewing!!!

You may also like

9 comments

  1. Very nice! You did a great job on this dress!n I love your fabric choice too! So sorry the vacation is over, however it sounds like you were able to relax and get some things done too! That's always satisfying!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *